Tuesday, July 5, 2011

On Getting Away With Murder

So, a young lady about 20 years old has a baby; no father is mentioned.

Her parents "help" her with the baby. Don't know anything about the grandma; the grandpa is a former police officer.

Casey, Baby's Momma, also has a brother, who seems to be a very emotional kinda guy with a victim mentality.

Casey accuses her dad, the cop, of molesting her; also, her brother.

Casey's in and out of the house, travels a lot with the baby, leaves baby with sitters not known by the grandparents. The child is away from her grandparents for an unusually long time.

The grandparents - and this is the part that shocked me - accept Casey's lame excuses for a month before they start really wondering what happened to their grandchild. What is that about?

My Social Worker instincts tell me that this is a very sick family and a family in denial - about a lot of things, most likely.

My Social Worker instincts also wondered why the lawyer for the defense didn't try to plead mental illness; she clearly is a young woman with - shall we say - issues?

I realize now the lawyer saw how weak the case was and banked on getting Casey off Scot-free.

Which is exactly what happened.

Sad to say, if I had been on that jury I would have voted "not guilty" also - because the proof wasn't there.

My gut says she's crazy and probably killed her baby.

My gut also says she needs a lot of help and close supervision.

And she shouldn't have any more babies.

But I think, probably, she won't get the help/supervision, and she probably will produce more children.

I think the down side of our American freedoms and our excellent justice system is that sometimes this stuff happens. Because people can't be convicted on gut feelings; evidence is required.

In which case I, personally, believe in God, Karma, natural consequences, etc. She'll get hers.

As for me? Yesterday I renewed my drivers license and in the process donated an extra $5 to the fund to help prevent child abuse. It's not much, but if everyone who feels bad about this case puts a little toward a good cause - well, maybe it'll do some good....


“More children 0–4 years of age in the United States now die from homicide than from infectious diseases or cancer.” - David Finkelhor and Richard Ormrod in “Homicides of Children and Youth,” Juvenile Justice Bulletin, October 2001

1 comment:

Jude said...

Well written as usual. I have seen karma, good and bad, manifest itself many times. She will be in the news again, and it won't be good, I assure you.