Friday, January 14, 2011

On Being a Fan of Dali

The Jan/Feb issue of AAA's magazine Going Places has an article about a contest they're running. They invite Triple A Motor Club members to cut out a paper moustache and upload a photo of yourself wearing it onto the AAA website. Prizes offered are Salvador Dali souvenirs and museum tickets, in celebration of the brand new Dali Museum which just opened in St. Petersburg, FL.

Well, I did as instructed, except that I was unable to upload it because I'm not a AAA member. But I figure, why waste a fun photo, so here it is for you:


Because I'm a Great Fan of Dali!

If you're interested in Dali (and if you want more insight into what makes me tick), check out one of these websites:

http://www.virtualdali.com/#galleryClassic1

http://www.salvadordalimuseum.org/welcome/from_the_director.html

http://www.dali-gallery.com/

As you probably know, there are many websites devoted to fine art. No matter, I just have to show you some of my favorite Dali works here. Dali had an amazing way with perspective and shadow. I also like that his work was commentary, very blunt commentary, on politics and human nature. Dali always got the last word, I think:


Explosion of Faith

This is pretty conventional, compared to what follows:


Ruin With Head of Medusa

I love what he does with space and shadows. And the details are fascinating. When we visited the museum a few years ago (the old one), I was amazed at the size of some of his paintings (2 stories high) and the time he took to complete one painting (2 years). Every detail was important, and the commentary is in the details.


Inaugural Goose Flesh

Notice a pattern between the one above and the one below. He repeated patterns and symbols in various paintings.


Road of the Enigma

Absolutely perfect perspective. And amazing shadows!


Harmony of the Spheres

Only Dali could make a bunch of dots exciting!

And this is my absolute favorite:



It's titled Geopoliticus Child Watching the Birth of the New Man, and was completed in 1943, near the end of World War II. It is, of course, a commentary on the major political and social upheavals of the time.

If there are any art experts reading this, please don't be offended by my uneducated commentary. I'm one of those people who says, "I don't know art, but I know what I like!"

So be it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well! You certainly taught me a lot about Dali today! Thank you! I had no idea you had so much stuff in your head.......:)
Jude *

Carol Shoemaker said...

OOOO...lots of stuff! Don't you?

Anonymous said...

Yeah I do......but the subjects are not this varied!