Friday, November 26, 2010

An Old Sunday School Song

"Count your blessings; name them one by one. Count your blessings; see what God has done."


Years ago, before modern psychology, talk therapy and anti-depressive medications, people knew what worked.


A positive attitude, and supportive family and friends, can go a long way toward helping a person through tough times.


In my work with drug addicts, I would encourage my patients to make a "Gratitude List." And, you know what, even a homeless, HIV positive drug addict can find things to be thankful for.


So I hope you are counting your blessings today.


I experience my gratitude list constantly. I am grateful for daily tasks, like washing the dishes. Yes, it's in the back of my mind that I don't have a dishwasher, but the thought that is in the forefront is my gratitude for hot water and soap, and the comfort and security that all these dirty dishes represent. Think of the millions of people who don't have such things!


I have made a choice to be thankful every day, all day.


I suffer from chronic gratitude, and the condition gives me joy.


"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference."
– Virginia Satir

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Another terrific post. Your photos are really a sweet touch. I love them! And yes, Roy and I often talk about how blessed we are. It was not that long ago that there were real struggles, on a daily basis. I will not take any of this for granted!
Jude *