Thursday, November 4, 2010

Flying Purple People Eater

OK, here's my proof that you can find ANYTHING on line:

Well I saw the thing comin' out of the sky
It had the one long horn, one big eye
I commenced to shakin' and I said "ooh-eee"
It looks like a purple people eater to me
It was a one-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater
I said Mr. Purple People Eater, what's your line
He said it's eatin' purple people and it sure is fine
But that's not the reason that I came to land
I wanna get a job in a rock and roll band
And then he went on his way, and then what do ya know
I saw him last night on a TV show
He was blowing it out, a'really knockin' em dead
Playin' rock and roll music through the horn in his head
 
I couldn't find credits for the above, but the last one is mine.

"Purple People Eater" by Sheb Wooley was released in 1958, and I remember the radio stations had contests for the best Purple People Eater pictures. For months, restaurants, libraries, the newspaper and retail establishments were covered with Purple People Eater drawings.

There were a lot of funny songs back then like "Witch Doctor" (Ooo eee, ooo ah ah ting tang Walla walla, bing bang), "The Name Game" (Shirley, Shirley bo Birley Bonana fanna fo Firley Fee fy mo Mirley, Shirley!) and a slightly older one called "Does your chewing gum lose its flavor" (on the bedpost overnight?)

Where are the funny songs of today, I wonder? Are they out there and I just don't hear them? Or is it just not fashionable to laugh at ourselves and be silly anymore?

Personally, I think we need a lot more silliness: ("Chuck Chuk bo Buck Bonana fanna fo F--- Fee fy mo Muck, Chuck!" always made me giggle.)

I think I'm going to start listening to these old songs, and maybe I'll be inspired to write a new one. Bring on the silliness!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, I really prefer your Purple People Eater! What a cutie! I agree, the world needs more silliness, AND FOR SURE NEEDS MORE GLITTER! I see you found Wild Onion. Love her blog!
Jude *

Carol Shoemaker said...

Found her through you - thanks!

Paul said...

If you want songs you can laugh at, they're still around. I highly recommend Jonathan Coulton, They Might be Giants, and Bare Naked Ladies.

Carol Shoemaker said...

I always thought the name "Bare Naked Ladies" was pure genious! Yes they're funny too.