Monday, April 18, 2011

My (Caroline's) Recuperation

Caroline's still at home. She has to take 2 weeks off work to recuperate from her surgery. Today I have to take report cards and some other papers to her school.

Remember this picture from a few weeks back?


These are the simple raw materials for fabric book covers: manila file folders (cut down to about 6" x 9") and a variety of pretty fabric scraps.

For each cover, I used a piece of fabric about 12" x 16" and a second piece about 8" x 12".

And a lot of Elmer's Glue.

The "abouts" are important - this was definitely not rocket science. An older group of kids could have made their own, but Caroline has first grade, so....

The finished book covers:



Somebody at the school has a big stapler, so they will attach the pages with a few staples through the middle. And the kids - this is their project after all - will write messages to Mom on the pages. Also, there will be a dedication and picture of the child inside the front cover, and a little "author biography" on each child on the last page. The books will go home on Mother's Day.

I like to think that some mothers will keep these in a drawer or box until their little darling goes off to college, and past. I'm an anonymous person who became a part of that child's history - neat!

By the way, here's another drawing for your pleasure:


Faces

That's all for now, but:

Be kind to the children (they will inherit our national debt).

3 comments:

KB in BR said...

This is hysterical!!! ... wait ... I think I may know some of these people! ... Love it! keep drawing, Carol. I wonder what fun you could have with a 1 inch brush and black paint on a LARGE, thick, watercolor paper, ... umm ... oooh, .... or a very large canvas!! just black on white! Well I do get carried away. Hey, have a great day.
ps: the SharingPoetry.com is Ryan's site.

Anonymous said...

Kathy gets carried away? Nahhhhh...really? (grin). The books are just terrific and they will be around for a long time I am sure. Again, your artwork is inspiring! Love those faces totally!
Jude *

Anonymous said...

I am always ready to learn, but I do not always like being taught.