Thursday, February 3, 2011

For My Family and Friends in the Snow and Ice

Photo Taken in My Front Yard February 2, 2011

Seventeen years ago we arrived in Florida broke, homeless, jobless and traumatized. We had traveled down interstate 95 in a snowstorm, with huge chunks of snow and ice falling from the overpasses, thankfully not hitting our car, but we did learn later that someone else was not so lucky.

I don't remember how long the trip took, but I remember clearly how long the state of Florida is from the Georgia line to Fort Lauderdale.

And flat.

And empty. Empty of scenery, variety, people.

Not at all what we expected.

Chris and her family cared for us for the next four months while we looked for work, saved a little money and searched for an apartment. I will always be grateful for their help.

But what I will never forget was the view of their back yard on the day we arrived. After the ice and snow and that very long journey, I was so happy to see a large bush covered in bright pink flowers just outside the door! I hugged my sister, and looked at those flowers, and I knew right then that everything was going to be all right.

If you're sick of the snow, I feel for you. But it will end eventually. I hope you are warm and safe. I hope you have the necessities of life. I hope no one in your house has the flu. Soon enough it will be spring.

And after that comes summer, better known as "hurricane season" down here! Then it will be our turn.


View of My Back Yard, February 2, 2011
Punxsutawney Phil says spring is just around the corner, OK!

Sprouts

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As much as I love seeing the flowers, your artowrk will always trump. It is wonderful! I hope you are beginning to formulate a plan on how to share it with the world. If you can manage to get them framed, one by one, you could start looking for a place to hang them. Many times businesses are looking for artwork to decorate their walls. This way they get free art on the walls, and they take a small percentage when you sell one. And if you establish a good relationship with the business, you just keep trading the pieces out so there is fresh new work on the walls. A further benefit is that more people every day see your work. You never know who those people are! (like art collectors and gallery owners). Start looking at spaces while you are out and about. And yeah, I LOVE your yard! 4 more wake-ups and we are heading south!
Jude *