Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Most Funnest Holiday!

OK - we took a trip to Target and now we're all ready for Halloween:


Soon the kids will be here and I hope I bought enough candy for all the little ones and middle sized ones, and if I run out before the big ones get here, oh well!

Here's one of the middle-sized ones from last year:

I like my neighborhood. It's not fancy. It's an old development that hasn't changed much since it was built in the 1950's. The streets are narrow; few of them have sidewalks; a couple of years ago we finally got streetlights. The houses are small and most are overfilled with sizable extended families. On Halloween, dozens of kids fill the streets and descend upon each house in groups. Every year two or three babies participate, carried or pushed in strollers by their parents or older siblings. And I turn into a little kid and have the time of my life giving out candy by the handful.

It's a tradition that hasn't changed at all in some parts of the country, and I happen to be lucky enough to be living in one of those parts.

Sometimes I imagine what I would do if I suddenly came into a lot of money. Would I move to a fancier neighborhood? Probably not.

I'll let you in on a little secret: Publisher's Clearing House has my name! There, it's out, and I feel so much better for having made my confession. And I challenge you to do the same. Did you secretly sign up for Publisher's Clearing House? Tell me the truth - does PCH have your name?

While I'm keeping an eye out for PCH, my current aspirations are more modest. For instance, I like to sell plastic stuff. I want to point out that the bowl in the picture above is a Tupperware Thatsa Bowl. The name makes me smile and wonder. Like, when the Tupperware people met to discuss new items, I think someone must have said, "Now that's a bowl!" Anyway, I'm showing it here with a ten pound bag of flour in it. This bowl is really big! Thatsa bowls come in a set of  four, in graduated sizes. You can check on this and a lot of other great stuff if you click the link at the top of this page.

OK. Commercial over. Thanks for listening.

Tune in tomorrow for more. Will it be art, sewing, recipes, commentary? I'll never tell.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Now THAT was a clever segue into Tupperware! I never saw it coming you clever one you! If your bucolic neighborhood is as you have described, you better hand out the candy piece by piece, not by the handful. Are you going to be in costume?
Jude *

Carol Shoemaker said...

Took a while to reply, sorry! I was looking up "bucolic." Will I be in costume? Haven't decided. I have one Halloween shirt which will be hanging on either the gate, the door or myself tonight. That's all I could find, and I didn't buy anything this year except the candy. Maybe I'll put a sheet on a broom for a ghost.