Wednesday, September 28, 2011

What the Heck is Turmeric?

For me, it's the wonder drug!



Here's the thing: I've known for a long time that when I eat curried chicken at our favorite Chinese restaurant, well, I just feel so - - -

Satisfied?

Comforted?

Satiated?

At Peace? ....Yes, that's it - at Peace!

I never knew why until Dr. Oz mentioned turmeric on his show. Turmeric is the thing that makes curry yellow and contributes to it's unique flavor. It comes from the root of a plant native to India, and is used frequently in cooking and medicine in that area of the world.

"Turmeric is recognized for its medical ant-inflammatory properties," says Dr. Oz, "Researchers are evaluating its use to treat high cholesterol, rheumatoid arthritis, scabies and irritable bowel syndrome."

Well - no wonder my gut feels good!

Turmeric is listed among the best antioxidants, per Dr. Oz and the Mayo Clinic. It is said to be good for fighting infections, reducing inflammation, possibly helping prevent Alzheimer's and cancer, and is a great fabric dye also!

You can add turmeric to rice or couscous.

You can add it to the bread crumbs, flour or cereal coating you use to make baked "fried" chicken.

Or you can try one of these:

Corn Relish:
  1. In a large saucepan, mix corn, cabbage, onion, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, white sugar, ground dry mustard, celery seed, mustard seed, salt, turmeric, apple cider vinegar and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
  2. Transfer the mixture to sterile containers. Seal and chill in the refrigerator until serving.
Southwestern Rice:
  1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute the green pepper, onion and garlic in oil for 3 minutes. Stir in the broth, rice, cumin and turmeric; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender. Add beans, tomatoes and corn; heat through.
The exact ingredients for these and other great recipes can be found at http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/main.aspx

Of course, I like to do my own thing, so the other day I cooked half a bag of frozen cauliflower (in the microwave - about 12 minutes in plenty of water), drained it and mashed with a potato masher, and flavored it with salt and pepper and a tablespoon of turmeric. The result looked like rice, so I stirred it up in a skillet with an egg and a few more vegetables. It was delicious "fried rice" without the rice.

Any time I can substitute a vegetable for a carb is a good time for me!

So I hope you give turmeric a try, because it's good for you.

If you've told yourself,  "I would never eat that stuff!" here's some news: Turmeric is a major ingredient in mustard. Guess that's one positive for hot dogs!

If it's still really not your thing - well - brew it up like tea and dye some fabric! Or make a paste and rub it on your face; they say it removes facial hair!

Am I......

the only one......

with facial hair????


 
By the way....

Benny was released from the animal hospital and is recuperating nicely at home. We're relieved and grateful for his return to health. (See my post dated September 21.)

3 comments:

Jude Ongley-Mowris said...

Well yea for Benny and yea for turmeric! I didn't know all that stuff!

Jude Ongley-Mowris said...

ok...I just can't believe you have run out of stuff to tell us, and show us, and share with us. Are you coming back here soon???? Please?
Love ya,
Jude *

Anonymous said...

hi to all moppingtherefrigerator.blogspot.comers this is my first post and thought i would say hello to you all -
speak soon
g moore